Re: Rotary gap safety - RE: spark gap muffler?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/26/01 1:48:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:
snip - - -

> >Hi Terry, Chris, et al!
> >
> >Here is a quick table of how fast things are thrown from the edge of a disk
> >running at 3600 RPM. As you can see, things get real nasty, real quick.
> >Diam    Tangential
> >(in.)        velocity (mph)
> >4.00 42.8
> >5.00 53.5
> >6.00 64.3
> >7.00 75.0
> >8.00 85.7
> >9.00 96.4
> >10.00 107.1
> >11.00 117.8
> >12.00 128.5
> >
> >Matt D.
>
> Great chart Matt, but if we evaluate 128 mph, it is only about 1/7
> the speed of a normal bullet, and my 30-30 lead bullet weighs close
> to what a 3/8" X 1" tungsten electrode would. :)
> Steel plate isn't out of the question though, very compact, just
> expensive, I'd probably use wood if I had a need to armor.
> I agree that steel is a good idea for a publicly exposed unit!

I agree! When dealing with the public, it only takes one "Oh S _ _ _ !" to
wipe out a lot of accumulated "Bravos!" True, the velocity is much less than
a 30-30 bullet, but as mothers all over the world have said about BB guns,
"You'll put your eye out with that"

Matt D.
Q. Do parachutes fail to open very often?
A No, just once.