Re: Cap/SG config

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/25/01 3:04:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Putting the cap in paralell to the tranny is usually a bad idea - a badly
> set SG will mean that all of the power from the caps will go back into the
> xfmr. There are some other things aobut it too, but I cant remember right
> now!
>
> Jason

Hi Y'all
The other reason way it's hard on the tranny to have the cap across it is
this:
       With the cap across the tranny, when the gap first fires, the full rf
voltage is "seen and felt" by the tranny. Then it decays as the circuit
oscillates. With the gap across the tranny, when it fires, the tranny "sees"
low RF voltage until gap stops firing, since the gap is a low resistance
across the tranny. Then it only sees the remaining voltage on cap. (much
lower than in the first case). While some claim that their "supermacho"
trannies have stood up to the abuse and kept working, I figure "Why abuse it
if you don't have to?"
Hope this helps,
Matt D.