Will I kill my MOTs?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hhchicken1-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi list!
I decided to upgrade my coil a bit, and first thing was the power supply.  I
intend to use two MOTs back-to-back with center grounded.  I rigged them up
with a 16A breaker (at 240v) and it made a nice little spark - I accidently
knocked one of the wires and it sprang back, drawing the arc to over a foot -
that scared me!  Anywayz, I am running them with no ballast.  They don't trip
the breaker but am I going to kill them over time by running them like this?
I have another, smaller, MOT that I could use as ballast but presumably this
would reduce the power somewhat.  Just wondering whether it's absolutely
necessary to use it.
Thanks
Henry Hallam