Re: Mica Cap Question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz.pupman-dot-com>

Hi Ray,

On 15 May 01, at 21:10, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ray Haynes by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ray.haynes-at-home-dot-com>
>
> I have obtained a .01uF 8KV mica transmitting cap that is rated for 26
> Amps at 400KHz. Would make a good cap for a smaller MOT power coil?
>
> Ray

That sounds like an excellent cap for a coil. I've used Sangamo
mica's rated at a mere 6Amps RMS in disruptive coils with no problem.
It will be hard for you to exceed the RMS rating in the tank because
the tank duty cycle is so low in a disruptive machine. Your biggest
problem with a capacitance that low in a uwave transformer coil will
be stopping power arcs in the gap. In fact it will probably take
heroic efforts if you are using a static gap. Don't run the cap
beyond its peak voltage rating and preferably a little below it or it
will probably die very quickly.

Malcolm