Re: The Sigma-6 Coil

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Maybe you should build a twin for Bill's big 13M!
>
>Jason Johnson

I'd love to, but there are a couple problems.

1. I'll need you to donate in excess of $100,000 to the Group :)
2. I'll need you to donate a few acres of land as the coil we'd build would,
by law, have to be farther than 3000' from the nearest public road.
3. I'll need you to fund the team of engineers, architects, and craftsmen to
build it :)
4. I'll need to get some SERIOUS corporate sponsorship for thigns like...

Sitka Spruce
Caps (though I MAY be able to talk CD into it if it was already built)
Lapp Insulator, for station post insulators
We have the wire in stock (lengths of 500MCM)

get the idea?

In the future, we will build the Avalon Coil, but not for a number of years,
most likely about 10. Search the archives for this subject.

This will be the showcase coil here. Hopefully the largest east-coast coil.
I'm thinking we should be able to run a 2' X 10' secondary without any
problems.

Step 1.

What should I get for wire? I can leave behind magnet wire at this size and
go right into regular insulated wire, right?

What should I scrounge for a coilform? Sonotube?

Sonotube wrapped in fiberglass, then peeled out, wound, coated, etc?

Would a wooden form be better at this size? How is it constructed?

Bill, do you have plans for the 13M that I could examine for construction,
design ideas? I do not wish to duplicate the 13M, this is a different idea
entirely. Besides, yours will still be the biggest for quite a while :)

but give me time

Because the Geek shall inherit the Earth! :)

Duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group