Re: Another ballast question

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Weazle and all,

As I recall, this was reported as a problem (perhaps last year?) on a
variac that was used as a ballast inductor. There will always be a degree
of autotransformer action with any tapped or variable choke. Even with a
tapped choke designed to have a 10:1 current range, the effective "step up"
ratio will only be a little over 3:1.

Because of interaction with the tank cap, under some operating conditions
you may see peak voltages of 1-2 kV developed across the entire ballast,
but this shouldn't be a problem for a well constructed homebrew ballast.
Connecting a resistor across the entire ballast may add some resistive
damping, but it will otherwise have little effect in reducing the magnitude
of the induced voltage.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>