Re: Ballast choke questions

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Weazle,
           I won't repeat what others have said but a point worth
noting for anyone wanting to use an existing transformer as a ballast.
When the airgap is set to a minimum (max L), you can safely assume
that the number of turns in the original transformer primary is the
minimum number of turns you want in your ballast *as long as the
inductance so formed does not resonate with the primary cap*. So a
few more turns is better. Now you can easily calculate how heavy the
wire can be to fill up the winding window with just that number of
turns (i.e. secondary windings now absent). There should be around
50% more window to fill up.

        I concur with the idea of varying the gap rather than tapping
turns which is a messy approach. There are pros and cons to consider
for both approaches however:

Setting L by gap variation:

Pros - gives continuously variable inductance (a con for the tapped
       winding approach)
     - leaves no unused turns for any L setting (a con for the tapped
       approach because tapping turns out leaves an autotransformer
       with elevated voltages across the unused portion of the
       windings and this requires extra insulation from the core)
     - doesn't require a tapping switch with attendent contact ratings
     - allows a single wind (easier)

Cons - same wiregauge for all currents which is highly inefficient in
       its use of the winding window (a pro for a variation on the
       tapped approach - something I've pondered in relation to
       transformer applications and is currently submitted as a
       design idea to a British Electronics magazine).

      Without the variation mentioned (which hopefully will appear in
print in due course), the most efficient way of using the window is
to grade the copper size for each tapping to minimize I^2.R losses
for all settings.

Regards,
Malcolm