Re: Sphere/Toroid Comparison Chart

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Terry,

On 8 May 01, at 23:23, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Bart,
>
> There is another fun twist to all this.  When a top load is added to a
> secondary coil, the voltage profile along the coil changes which
> affects the coils effective inductance.  The inductance can actually
> drop as much as 20% do to this effect.  See:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/NSVPI/NVSPI.htm
>
> for my actual voltage profile measurements and:
>
> http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn1710/
>
> for Paul's computer analysis of this.

That is not at all unreasonable considering the coupling which must
exist between what is essentially a bunch of parallel shorted turns
and the top of the windings. I might suggest a further twist to be
analysed in the tssp project: what effect does cutting a slit in the
terminal have on the L/C distribution in the resonator? I've done
this and the frequency changes very little despite the removal of the
shorted turn (goes up a little from memory) so ???????????

Regards,
malcolm