Re: Repost RE: Explain 3 Phase

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Dave,
     I think I finally see where you are comming from...

You might be (implicitly) drawing an analogy with DC batteries, which when
connected in series are always all lined up the "same way" to give a higher
output voltage.

You might be thinking "DC same way" is analogous to "AC in phase" so you
think "in phase" is the correct way to describe 240v service.

So my conclusion is you are talking about how the AC is generated, whereas
the rest of us are talking about what we measure (on the three wires involved
with 240v service) thinking of the generation as a "black box" not to be
openned.

We are measuring relative to ground because that is "standard practice", and
in that sense the two hot wires of 240 are two 120vac 180-degrees out of phase.

enjoy,
-Pete Lawrence