Re: RATs

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Finn,

You've plowed much new ground in your innovative system. Your RAT system
was not a failed experiment - it simply had some design weaknesses that
weren't obvious during the design phase. Welcome to the world of real
engineering - engineers almost always make a prototype, discover the
unforeseen bugs, and fix these before finalizing their design. While you
have some materials selection problems, the basic design concepts were
valid, and the materials problems should be easily correctable. And,
you're certainly not the first coiler who's been bitten by ballast
saturation... :^)

Look at all you've learned and shared with the rest of us! The trial and
error approach is a hallmark of true innovation... take pride in your
beautifully crafted system and make the next one even better!

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

> Some experiments are great: if they succeed, the by-product is a great
> toy.
> Other experiments suck: although it is good to know, how _not_ to do
> things, the byproduct is a pile of junk.
> The RAT coil that I talked at length about some time ago is like the
> latter, and this is a report of why:
<SNIP>