Re: Balancing L/C Sizes

Original poster: "William Swanson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <swansontec-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,
Looks like I’ll have to retract my last statement
about wire size not making a difference, since I
overlooked one important little detail. When you use
twice as many turns of wire that is half as thick, you
are actually using twice the length of wire. I didn’t
take this into account when I made this statement
about wire size, so it turns out that I’m wrong, and
smaller wire does have greater losses. However, as
somebody else pointed out, after a certain point the
skin effect takes hold and causes the decrease in
resistance for a given wire size to decrease only
linearly. Once this limit is reached, wire size
becomes unimportant, but below this limit, it is
important. Perhaps this is the reason for the rule of
that says you should stick with 22 gauge wire for your
secondary...

Sorry for the goof up.

-William