Re: On sparks

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Ken Herrick's comments interspersed:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:14:37 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi,
>
> It is interesting to note that with a solid state gap, one may have
> say a
> low BPS rate (higher voltage) at the beginning of the streamer
> formation
> and then have a higher BPS rate (higher current) once the streamer
> is
> formed and growing.  You could really vary the gap timing, dwell,
> BPS as
> you wanted with a little monitor to know what the coil is up to at
> that
> instant of time.  It is all just a matter of hooking up digital ICs
> (I
> suppose you could hook up a microprocessor too ;-)).  I guess you
> can kind
> of tweak the BPS rate and such to give the streamer just what it
> wants.

Hmmm...I don't know that my s.s. system quite works that way:  For each
burst of ac flux from the primary I get 1 spark.  When the repeating
bursts occur far enough apart, the repeating sparks more-or-less randomly
emit from various points arount the toroid.  But when those bursts are
very close together, as they are when I establish the interrupted-burst
mode I've described, then the repeating sparks seem all to go along the
same (already-hot) path, for the duration of that set of flux bursts.  As
I'd said, in that latter instance, some 400 us elapses between the
repeating burst events and I can hear a very pronounced "ringing" quality
in what still appears to be one spark but what must, as evidenced by that
sound, actually be repeating sparks all traveling along the same path.

So I'm persuaded that >every< burst of flux (by which I mean ac magnetic
field, from the primary, at the secondary's Fr) elicits 1 spark (& now
that I re-read that, I'm sure I'm stating the obvious!).  And, as I
commented on in another posting of today, that flux burst has to be BIG,
and not necessarily of long duration, in order to get LONG sparks.

KCH

> Perhaps with a little more monitoring you could measure the
> streamer
> impedance and adjust the coil to feed it...  An odd thought...
>
> I also note that solid state gaps will have a "softer" turn on which
> will
> eliminate that large initial energy spike.  I wonder if that giant
> VHF,
> UHF, GHz... noise burst makes a difference in getting the streamer
> started?

...don't know what you refer to, here.

KCH

> An interesting idea Jim had about flash tubes to fire a solid state
> gap.
> My design is all complex digital but a flash tube may be a cheap and
> easy
> way to go for a simpler form of solid state gap trigger.  Have to be
> sure
> the tube does not eat too much energy.  Solid state gaps really are
> a study
> in not loosing energy to anything but the streamer...
>
> I wonder if Kennan's coil performance is hurt buy the MOSFET's VI
> curves.
> Maybe IGBTs would not waist as much energy as heat since they tend
> to have
> a much lower voltage drop at high currents?  I have not been
> following
> Kennan's experiments as much as I should have been...
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Yes, I commented on the MOSFETs in another posting.  They do soak up
power but not so much, if my measurements are correct: some 120 W if I
recall my figure, while some 1500 VA is being drawn from the mains.

KCH

> At 05:25 PM 3/29/2001 -0800, you wrote:

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.