Re: On sparks

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Comment from KCH at the end...

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:49:01 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

No, I'm still skeptical of that charge in the top-load.  Upon overnight
reflection, I'm beginning to conclude (and this point has no doubt been
made by others, before) that the big difference between s.s. and
spark-gap systems--exhibited in the difference between the natures of the
sparks obtained--lies in the power-vs.-time relationship of the primary
excitation.

In my s.s. system, I establish a spark duration of 7 ms but I only
presently generate the primary's magnetic flux from about 36 A x 3 turns
= 108 ampere-turns.  That situation produces relatively short sparks
(although they're 3' or so: not too bad, I will say, from the 160 V power
source) but relatively fat, bushy and branched ones because there's time
for those qualities to develop.

In a spark-gap system on the other hand, I conjecture that the flux is a
whole lot higher--many more amperes, maybe orders of magnitude, through
more-or-less the same quantity of turns--and the duration of that flux,
per spark, is a whole lot less.  Thus, the spark "gets out there in a
hurry"; it's longer but it doesn't have time in which to develop as much
thickness or as many branches.  But the power taken from the mains is
much the same in the two cases; it's just that that power is applied to
the primary in shorter, more-intense bursts in the spark-gap system.

I think that the relatively small effect of the size of the top load is
clear from the fact that I can readily generate enough voltage to break
down the smooth 6" x 24" Landergren toroid but I still can push the spark
length only to 3' or so, even though I keep pushing for all of 7 ms.  It
has some effect, certainly since--all else remaining the same--I find
that my 7 ms sparks as emitted from the toroid are at least half-again as
long as those emitted from a surface having half the radius.  But the big
factor that gets the spark 'way out there is that initial ZOT!! of
primary flux.

I'm sure this subject needs more clarification & perhaps correction.

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.