Re: On sparks

Hi,

It is interesting to note that with a solid state gap, one may have say a
low BPS rate (higher voltage) at the beginning of the streamer formation
and then have a higher BPS rate (higher current) once the streamer is
formed and growing.  You could really vary the gap timing, dwell, BPS as
you wanted with a little monitor to know what the coil is up to at that
instant of time.  It is all just a matter of hooking up digital ICs (I
suppose you could hook up a microprocessor too ;-)).  I guess you can kind
of tweak the BPS rate and such to give the streamer just what it wants.
Perhaps with a little more monitoring you could measure the streamer
impedance and adjust the coil to feed it...  An odd thought...

I also note that solid state gaps will have a "softer" turn on which will
eliminate that large initial energy spike.  I wonder if that giant VHF,
UHF, GHz... noise burst makes a difference in getting the streamer started?

An interesting idea Jim had about flash tubes to fire a solid state gap.
My design is all complex digital but a flash tube may be a cheap and easy
way to go for a simpler form of solid state gap trigger.  Have to be sure
the tube does not eat too much energy.  Solid state gaps really are a study
in not loosing energy to anything but the streamer...

I wonder if Kennan's coil performance is hurt buy the MOSFET's VI curves.
Maybe IGBTs would not waist as much energy as heat since they tend to have
a much lower voltage drop at high currents?  I have not been following
Kennan's experiments as much as I should have been...

Cheers,

	Terry