Re: kiwi magnet wire suppliers

Original poster: "Kelly & Phillipa Williams by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kellyw-at-ihug.co.nz>

Hi Mike!

> can anyone recommend a supplier in this part of the world?  I don't need
> anything fancy, just plain old fashioned enamelled copper wire to wind my
> secondary with.  Oh, in reels bigger than 50g would be nice too!

I live in Masterton, New Zealand (I assume by kiwi you mean NZ?)
(Masterton is 1.5 hours drive from Wellington)

I buy my magnet wire from a motor rewinders in Palmerston North.
They have any size wire and are happy to ship it to you provided you
pay the courier/postage costs.

The company is called Smith Pilling Rewinds.
I have dealt with them twice before, they are really great,
happy to go out of their way for an unorthodox request.

They do not ordinarily sell wire as such (on reels).
I ordered a certain WEIGHT of such-and-such size wire.
They then wound the weight of wire I ordered onto a large reel by hand.

I found the weight I wanted by calculating the length of wire I wanted
(no of turns x circumference of tube + an allowance for the extra length
caused by the spiral)

I then looked up a table of grams/ounces per foot
for all the usual wire sizes to calcualte the WEIGHT from the
LENGTH.

Order a little extra as all wire differs and you may end up with
a little less than you want.

These tables are available on a number of people's web sites
(I think) but I can't tell you now where they are. Look around on the web,
or maybe others on this list can tell you.

Kind Regards,

Alan Williams