Re: VTTC provisional results

In a message dated 3/21/01 10:32:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  You are referring to AC operation do you? As the final goal is
>  audio modulation I need to stuck with DC.

Herwig,

Yes, AC,  but I forgot your goal was audio modulation.  In that
case forget everything I said about single legs, and AC, etc.
3 phase is best for what you're doing.

I would just say that DC operation of a tube coil demands a
tremendous amount of power, and my guess is that your
system is near-optimal now.  If the tubes are getting red, then
the only way to get longer sparks is to add more tubes and
more power input.

>  But I would
>  like to have a small ballast e.g. a loading inductance between the
>  rectifier and the loading capacitor in order to protect the stack of
>  diodes from being fried in case of a flashover. Been there, done that
>   :-((  Up to now I am using a 10 Ohm/10 kV current limiting
>  resistor, which is 10" long.

I see what you're saying.  You like to use a protective choke
to prevent kickback.  Good idea.

John FReau