Troubleshooting Sequence for Tuning, aka HELP!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <stanmoore-at-mindspring-dot-com>

I am still pursuing the elusive tuned circuit.  I have rebuilt my secondary to
replace the one that failed due to internal tracking.  Here is what I have
found so far:

1.  According to the calcs, my secondary should be matched to the primary.
2. With the toriod removed, I do get fine streamers from the loose primary
wire.  I had to tap in several turns on the primary to get this.  It would
appear then my my circuit is wired correctly.
3. With the toriod remounted, the only sparks that I get is when I taped a nail
to the toriod.  This breakout point will generate small, fine arcs.  I can hold
an insulated metal object close and get a spark length of 8-10".  The toriod is
17" OD with a chord of 4".  Could this be too big?
4. Various tap positions have some effect in length, but not any real
improvements.

How would you approach tuning from here?  I am using a SRSG (120bps).  I don't
have the phase adjustment capability yet, but I know that will be added shortly
to help in the tuning.  Can a grossly mis-phased SG prevent breakout?  Also, I
am looking at secondary to primary coupling.  The bottom of the secondary
winding is about 1/2" above the top of the flat primary, and the distance
between the two is about 3".  Where would folks go from here in the tuning
process?

Thanks,
Stan