Saturable Reactors

Original poster: "Eric Davidson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <edavidson-at-icva.gov>

Hi all,

Indeed, saturable reactors are THE way to control the distribution transformer
used for powering a Tesla coil.  They are very expensive to buy or to have
built, and not easy to home brew.  However, they are not as hard to find as you
may think.  Old centrifuges are a great place to find them. Sorvall/DuPont
brand have nice units in them.  They will control about 10-20 KW for short
periods of time.  If they are oil immersed, they are even more robust.  Use
0-150 VDC on the control winding.  They work great. WELL worth the effort spent
looking for them.  I have removed several units and I'm pleased with their
performance. Coil safe.

Eric
<mailto:edavidson-at-icva.gov>edavidson-at-icva.gov