Re: tank cap's energy

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<MShock8073-at-aol-dot-com>

> Just out of curiosity, I would like to calculate the energy, in Joules, that
> my tank cap can deliver into...say...me, if I make a mistake. Nothing like
> cold hard numbers to keep you sharp when playing with HV. I am sure this
> formula is staring me in the face but I must be missing it. I hope this is
> close enough to being on topic.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc S.

Hi Marc....

to find the joules of a capacitor...

(C ( in farads) / 2)*( voltage cap is charged to ) squared

sooooo...

a 14uF cap is charged to 20KV

(14*.000001)/2 X (20,000^2)

.000007*400000000 = 2800 joules