RE: Solid State coil

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Terry:

I just ran across a paper from Sandia National Labs that compares triggered
gas and vacuum spark gaps with solid state devices, and thought it may be
interesting relative to your solid state gap work::

SAND99-0154
Unlimited Release
Printed February 1999
A COMPARISON OF HIGH-VOLTAGE
SWITCHES
K. W. Chu and G. L. Scott
Firing Set and Contact Fuze Department
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 5800
Albuquerque, NM 87185-0501
Abstract
This report summarizes our experience in testing high-voltage switches that
must have
fast turn-on, low inductance, and low resistance. Our work was directed at
fuze
applications, but the information is relevant to any capacitor-discharge
circuit where a
high peak current and a rapid rate of increasing current (large dI/dt) are
of paramount
importance. This report describes our test techniques and discusses the
strengths and
weaknesses of three switch technologies: gas, vacuum, and semiconductors.

http://citeseer.nj.nec-dot-com/cache/papers2/cs/8645/http:zSzzSzinfoserve.sandia
.govzSzsand_doczSz1999zSz990154.pdf/a-comparison-of-highvoltage.pdf

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham,  MA USA

Hi All,

I have been thinking about making a solid state disruptive coil out of a GM
HEI ignition coil with the iron core removed (so it runs as a "true" Tesla
coil).  If anyone is interested, I posted some schematic JPG and PDF data
sheets at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SolidStateCoil/

<snip>