RE: Airtight Coil form

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Mark:

While there are lots of Tesla-related web sites, the majority of them just
repeat things that they heard and think they understand, and add their own
perversions of the truth.  Plus, there are in fact a few aspects of coiling
that are truely not completely understood.  It would be presumpuous of me to
judge and name which sites are good and which are bad, so I'll have to leave
it to you to seek out the best ones.  (Hint - look for ones that make the
effort to use proper spelling!)

But to answer your question, there is no need to make a secondary form
airtight.  It would be impossible to maintain a vacuum in a PVC pipe no
matter how well the ends were sealed, and as you point out, low pressure air
is worse than atmospheric pressure so far as insulating.  The only thing
that is certain is that you don't want to drill holes in the side of the
form and put the ends of the winding inside the form.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "Stolz, Mark by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Mark.Stolz-at-st-systems-dot-com>

Hi all,

My name is Mark and I'm beginning to get started into coiling.  I've been
reading lots from this list, and there is A LOT to read, and I've been
reading at tons of TC websites.  I haven't been able to find an answer to
the question of why does the coil form need to be airtight.  I thought it
might be due to internal arcing, but that didn't make sense since arcs can
still happen in a vacuum.  I figured this would be the best place to get an
answer from, since a majority of you are what I would consider experts.
Thanks!