Airtight Coil form

Original poster: "Stolz, Mark by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mark.Stolz-at-st-systems-dot-com>

Hi all,

My name is Mark and I'm beginning to get started into coiling.  I've been
reading lots from this list, and there is A LOT to read, and I've been
reading at tons of TC websites.  I haven't been able to find an answer to
the question of why does the coil form need to be airtight.  I thought it
might be due to internal arcing, but that didn't make sense since arcs can
still happen in a vacuum.  I figured this would be the best place to get an
answer from, since a majority of you are what I would consider experts.
Thanks!