Re: Who is right?

Original poster: "Skip Malley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <skipmalley-at-home-dot-com>

It is very simple:

If you add a bunch of capacitors in parallel, the capacitances add while
keeping the same voltage rating.

If you add a bunch of the same capacitances in series, the voltage rating
adds, while the capacitance rating divides by the number of capacitors in
series.

Example #1:
Take 10 pieces of 0.1uF/1000Volt caps and put them in parallel.
You now have 1.0uF with a voltage rating of 1000 Volts.

Example #2:
Take the same 10 pieces of 0.1uF/1000 Volt caps and put them in series.
You now have a total of 0.01uF with a voltage rating of 10,000 Volts.

Example #3:
Take 10 sets of EXAMPLE #1 above and put them in series.
You now have 0.1uF at a voltage rating of 10,000 Volts.

THAT IS THE ENTIRE CONCEPT of MMC

Add capacitors in parallel to increase the capacitance rating.
Add capacitors in series to increase the voltage rating.