Re: Cutting PVC

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Hans Scholze by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>

> Mike,
>
> I have a bandsaw, but for the life of me I can't get a straight cut out of
> it, even with guides :-)  I use a chop saw.  Zingggg...  Perfectly square,
> smooth cut in about two seconds.  These are pretty common (as opposed to
> bandsaws) so you might be able to find one to use.  Before I had the chop
> saw, I used a hacksaw.  Since the hacksaw cut is guarenteed to be crooked,
> true up the end with a belt sander (quick) or a piece of sandpaper on a flat
> surface (time consuming)
>
> Hans

	I have found cutting with a coarse-blade hacksaw works - piece of
masking tape wrapped around pipe for a guide.  Leaves a messy-looking
surface but with care not too far out of square.  Finish with a 12" disk
sander with table guide.  This works much better than a belt sander.
Recommend the disk sander to anyone who has the room, as it can be used
for a variety of work requiring square ends, etc.  With proper disk will
work metals (1/4" still in my case), cardboard, or wood.  Mine cost
$10.00 at a garage sale, but would be a good thing to have even at
retail price.

Ed