Re: Fwd: Re: Superconductivity

Hi John,

Whoa!  You think I just make this stuff up!! :o))))

Tesla coil losses are calculated with MicroSim models and direct
measurements.  Every coil is different but an example of my coil is:

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1999/June/msg00323.html
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2000/November/msg00462.html

There is also a paper at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

That shows the basic idea.  Many of the losses are tested with instruments
and plugged into the models.  The ringdown times and circuit theory can be
used with the models to find equivalent resistance and such as in my big
coil model:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/BigCoilSCH.gif

Spending obscene amounts of money on test equipment helps too :-))))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TheFun.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SolidStateCoil/SSgap2001-4-1/Pic0
3.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SolidStateCoil/SSgap2001-4-1/Pic0
5.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SolidStateCoil/SSgap2001-4-3/IGBT
Drive100.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SolidStateCoil/2001-3-18/Tek00004
.gif
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/SScap2.jpg

It is sort of a messy business but the results should be pretty close.
Other papers on this are:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/sgap/sgap.html
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/rcfilter/rcfilter.html
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/rlcfilter/rlcfilter.html
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/primarycircuits/pricir.html
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/NSVPI/NVSPI.htm
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/MyPapers.htm

Instruments for this are at:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/waveant3.html
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Project_color.pdf

I have recently gone to Pearson current monitors for much "low risk" stuff
since they can be found on E-bay for good prices. I am working to find a
voltage probe that can do top terminal voltages directly too :-))

Cheers,

	Terry

BTW - I will send this to the whole list since many may be interested too.