Re: Ballasting question

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Malcolm, all,

Yes,  the resonant charging frequency does influence the average firing
rate of a static gap.  I haven't done much work with static gaps recently,
so I had kind of forgotten about that ;-))

I think the firing rate is higher when the resonant frequency of the
charging circuit is high,  (ie. low ballast L,  small cap.)
Conversely,  a low resonant charging frequency results in a lower firing
rate,  (ie. lots of ballast L,  big cap.)

Of course it is resonance near the line frequency which allows widely
spaced static gaps to fire.

							Cheers,

							-Richie,

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>