Re: Tesla coil tank circuit based on cap discharge through an SCR

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/27/01 9:44:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> If we are talking a resonate transformer design one SCR would not work. The
> current between the primary and cap is a damped oscillation (AC). Two SCRs
> in parallel (or TRIAC) might work but it might be a little tricky triggering
> them. If you just want to hit the primary with a big capacitor discharge
> that would work but it would be just a basic step up pulse transformer (not
> much HV compared to a resonate Tesla coil design). Also the SCR voltage
> would have to be rated not for the capacitor voltage but the back EMF
> (kickback) generated in the primary after the field collapses. The real
> problem is you would, even for a small setup, need very large SCRs that
> could handle high surge current. Also if you don't trigger them properly
> even correctly sized one can be destroyed. That's way spark gaps are so
> popular.
>
> If you are still interested in this there is a type of car ignition system
> called a capacitive discharge (CD) that charges a cap to 300V or more and
> using an SCR connects the cap to the coil. You might be able to find
> schematics for one on the web.
>
> Ray

Yes, I know about CEMF.Wouldnt a large diode work?If i t was in series with
the SCR?And triggering 2 scrs is wayto complicated.Its not worth it when a
simple spark gap could be used.This could be goodfor maybe an ignition coil
type though.For a gib pulse.Kinda like a MARX generator.

Oh well,
It was just an idea.Thanx anyways guys,
Matt