Tube application thought

Original poster: "Shad by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

	Hi All!

With great anticipation of building a tube coil, and with most of my HV
toys not in my garage (sorry Dave!), i was settled with tinkering with my
IGN coil and standard 555&2n3055 driver.  About half an hour into making
lights into plasma globes, frying a few ants that wandered across my
workbench, the driver died.  The 3055 was toast, and the 555 didn't smell
too good either.  Disgusted with yet another driver set frying, i chunked
it in the bin (saved the important stuff), and started digging through my
junkbox for more parts.  I unearthed my old signal generator (30-40 years
old?), my old tube tester (circa 1950's), and a box of old replacement
tubes for my long-gone guitar amp.  Whooboy, the perceptive can see where
this is going.

So I'm going to build another 555 based driver, only I'll rig the pulsed
output of the driver to supply negative voltage to a ~50w triode's grid.
 I'm a bit limited in my selection of tubes at the moment (didn't make it
to the flea market), but I know 50watts at several khz will give you one
nasty-smelly RF burn. The tube I plan to use may change if I can come
across a better suited tube.  Anywho!  I'm just gettin' started playing
with tubes, so this may or may not work.  Just getting the tube to
oscillate properly will be an achievement for me.
 Will it work???  i haven't the slightest!
   But that's why we "try it and see."  If it works like I hope, I'll save
myself the frustration of blowing more 555 driver circuits (I should etch
the boards en-masse).  But I think it'd be a bit of rustic charm to see a
little glowing tube powering a plasma globe.  :)

Thoughts, comments, etc welcome!
													Shad