Re: Metal Rotor = Isolated Motor?

Hi Greg,

It's a good idea to isolate the conducting portion of the gap from the
rotor shaft. If it's a metal disk
attached to the shaft, I would expect it's just a matter of time before the
motor fails. The bearings are
an obvious area for arcing and pitting since they provide a path from rotor
to gound, but the stator
windings could also be damaged given the right transient condition. Who
knows, it may run ok for quite a
while, but it's still a risk to the motor. Isolation "is" necessary to
prevent the risk of damage.

Barton B. Anderson

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>