Re: SRSG break rate

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 6/21/01 8:38:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> Bill,
>
> The positive and negative peaks don't cancel because the positive
> peak energy is used up in that gap firing or bang, to produce sparks.

If the gap fires at a positive peak, the next firing will be at a
negative peak.  After the firing at the positive peak (the high point on
the voltage sine wave), the next quarter cycle is positive voltage
(decreasing), and then the next quarter cycle is negative voltage
(increasing).  Then it fires at the next peak.  So if firing is at the
peaks of the voltage sine wave, between any two firings the transformer
delivers equal positive and negative voltage, which would seem to have a
net effect of doing nothing.

Again, I'm new at this, and as someone else attempted to clarify, there
are other things going on here.  I'm completely ignoring the primary
coil as a component (because I'm not sure exactly how it comes into play
with regard to the question at hand - cap charging).

Before I start building a SRSG, I'd like to have some confidence that
I'll be able to phase it properly without frying my beloved NST's in the
process.  Maybe I should just stick with the static gap.  My coil is not
up to where it should be though (three 15/60 NST's, 0.06uf cap, 1000
turn 6.5" secondary, etc... producing approx 3 to 3.5 foot purple
streamers), and I thought a SRSG might help.  I'm pretty confident about
my tap points for the various toroids I've run with.  I've tried all
conceivable combinations of adjusting the tap point, toroid size, static
gap spacing and primary-secondary coupling, and can't seem to get it
past 3.5 foot streamers.

	- Bill Vanyo