RE: Enhancing Corona

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Scott

For an example of a small coil which produces a lot of corona see
www.corridor-dot-net/deano/medicine_coil.htm

I don't think the secondary frequency is the key. I think that small coils
tend to produce more corona, as well as more ozone, due to the smaller ROC
of the secondary and the topload. A significant amount of corona can be
produced by a relatively low DC voltage if it is applied to a thin wire.
This is used in copiers and laser printers all the time. The production of
corona and also ozone seem to be related to field stress. In larger coils
with larger toploads, the corona is suppressed. A large coil may very well
produce a lot of corona if it is run at a power level just under that
required for a streamer to break out.

I once saw a bright brush discharge coming off the beak of a bird sitting on
a 7.2KV primary wire on a cold, dry, but still night. No corona was visible
from the wire itself, just from the beak of the bird.

later

deano