Re: Resonant charging design

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Bart & all,

"Barton B. Anderson" wrote:

> You didn't happen to graph out 60 Hz did you? Can't wait to get started.

I have generated approximate lines for 60Hz,  but want to check them some
more.  I concentrated mostly on 50Hz to start with,  because this is
more familiar to me.  (The 20ms period is easier for simulations and
calculations !)

I will generate graphs with two lines, one for 50Hz and one for 60Hz,
because they do produce significantly different ballast and cap values.

> It will be interesting to see how it works out.

It will be interesting to see if the calculated values are close to what
you would have selected on "gut-feeling" and experience ???

> Funny that with 240bps selected, I came very near the standard
> transformer matching cap size (standard equation).

You can see this from the first graph.  What you call a "matched-cap" is
one that resonates with the transformer at 60Hz.  Notice that the first
graph suggests that the resonant charging frequency should be 60Hz when
200BPS is being used.  Fairly close to your 240bps,  but you really need
the 60Hz graphs :-(

> Anyway, the method is simple and can easily be applied to full coil
> designs.

Thanks for your comments.  I will Email you a copy of the Javascript
calculator shortly,  as I appreciate your offer of help with the
program ;-)
						Cheers,

						-Richie,