Re: Pole transformer ballast

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Steve,

You can estimate the power-handling capability (in volt-amperes) of a
silicon steel core as follows:

   P = (A/0.16)^2  where A = the core area in square inches

Solving for A as a function of P:

   A = 0.16*SQRT(P)

So, assuming you need to handle about 25*240 VA = 6000 VA, then the core
area should be about 12.3 square inches (minimum).

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

> Can anyone tell me how many square inches of iron (stell laminations) is
needed
> for the center section of a ballast. The ballast is to be used for a 5
KVA pole