Re: MOT Ideas...

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Alex,

If you remove enough turns from the primary to
significantly increase the secondary voltage, the MOT
will saturate.  You can accomplish the same failure by
applying higher voltage to the primary, using
buck-boost or a variac. Again, the MOT will saturate.
If you must have more voltage from your MOTs, a
workable approach might be to leave the primary alone
and rewind the secondary for higher voltage. However,
the details of such an undertaking give me a headache
just thinking about them. I suggest you (1) use two
MOTs in series and learn to live with 4kvac, or (2)
use two MOTs in series with an electronic voltage
multiplier added, or (3) stack four or six MOTs for 8
or 12kvac respectively.

Another oddball possibility (that I myself have never
investigated) is to use two MOTs in series for 4kvac,
but with finely adjustable primary current (variac or
similar) so as to achieve resonant charging with the
tank cap. Resonant operation alone could conceivably
double or triple the 4kvac. Reso charging sure kicks
booty when used with NST-based coils. Might work for
MOTs too.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg