Re: ABS Coil Form

Original poster: "Kp2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kp2-at-wvi-dot-com>

> Hi Jon,
>
>    If what you're using is the black ABS drain pipe, you need to think about
> what makes the ABS black.
Thought about it.
>    It could possibly be carbon. Manufactures that sell in California use lamp
> black carbon for cheap coloring.  Many other states will accept  die for
> coloring.
I took Terry's suggestion and rubbed the pipe against my cat (he enjoyed
it). Tons of static charge. That obviously means that it doesn't like to
dissipate charge. That in turn means it's a good insulator. For good
measure, I'm coating it with polyurethane varnish.

While I'm talking about polyurethane, I'd like to remind everyone of
something. While PU has a great dielectric constant, keeps water out, and
goes on easily; it also is very lossy.

About the losses due to foam -- that is interesting that someone pointed
that out. I managed to forget that foam concenrates the field in the small
bubbles. I'm going to use DVW (ABS) anyway, becomes it seems that losses
due to water would be greater than foam. Anyone want to challenge that?