Re: Hand cranked TC

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

> I ran a cross a 0-130 vac, 7-8 watt hand cranked field phone generator,
> and was wondering if this could be used to mkae a hand cranked TC. I was
> thinking of hooking it up to a small, power corrected OBIT. Does this
> seem reasonable? The purpose of the coil is for high school students to
> experiment with, so huge output isn't required.

I wonder if the small generator will have enough power to feed the
low primary inductance of the transformer. Something that surely works
is to rectify the output and charge a capacitor with it, and then
use an SCR to discharge the capacitor over the primary of an ignition
coil, that could then power a small Tesla coil. The SCR can be triggered
when the voltage in the capacitor is high enough, by just connecting
a pair of neon lamps and a resistor, in series, between the anode and
the gate.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz