Re: spark gap spacing

Original poster: "Jeremiah by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jmeizis-at-kc.rr-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 2:09 PM
Subject: RE: spark gap spacing

> Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

> Hello Jeremiah,
>
> It would help to know more about your setup.  What is the HV transformer?
> Is the 11.5 KV AC or peak?  Are the 10 caps in one string all that you
have?
> That would be 6.8nF at 12.5 KV.  If the 11.5 KV is AC then the peak
voltage
> is 1.414 * 11.5 KV = 16.26 KV or well over the limit for your caps.  I
don't
> know the breakdown voltage of air but for my 12/60 NST, the spark gap is
set
> about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch.  With sharp edges I can get more than 1/2
inch,
> but a 1 inch gap is much too large.  I would worry about resonant voltage
> build up with a gap so large.
>
> I set the gap as follows:  with the NST connected to the protection
circuit,
> connect the spark gap to the output (after the protection circuit).  Set
the
> gap so that it always arcs across but if opened farther, it doesn't arc.
> Leave it there.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete Komen

The transformer is a 12/30 NST controlled through a variac and i have only
set it at 115 on the variac.  I didn't know how to calculate the peak
voltage.  Is 1.414 a constant or an independent variable in an equation?
Now should i set gap so that it arcs dependably and then add the caps in
their?  If i set the gap this way is that going to be the peak voltage at
that voltage setting?
Thanks
Jeremiah