Re: Designing for high Power Factor

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi Richie,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

> Hi guys,

<big snip>

> This stuff is kind of heavy going,  but I am planning to develop a simple
> computer program to do all of the clever stuff.  I was inspired by Bart's
> excellent MMC Designer,  and realised that there really is not much
> information about designing AC resonant charging circuits.
>
> The program will ask the user to input the chosen rotary speed in BPS  and
> the desired power throughput in Watts.  It will then calculate the ballast
> inductor and tank capacitor values necessary to achieve the specified
> power throughput at the chosen BPS,  with good power factor.  I'm still
> working on this,  and will be asking for some people to volunteer as Beta
> Testers shortly ;-)
>
> If there is much interest on this list,  I will try to go through a
> "Design Example".  Something like "What ballast and cap values would give
> 10kW at 371BPS with a PF of 0.9 ?"  I think that correct design of the
> charging circuit is very important,  however I don't want to bore the
> socks off those who don't really care about this stuff, and get along just
> fine without it !
>
>                                                         Cheers,
>
>                                                         -Richie,
>                                                         (Newcastle, UK)

I'm highly interested in your way of designing the charging system,
which I feel is yet the weakest important main point in all(?) the TC
design-tools (including, of course, my own TCplan ). I would be happy to
be within the Beta testers, when you are ready with the program. The
"Design Example" would shurely help to understand the procedure. Keen to
read more from your great developments...

Cheers

     Kurt Schraner