RE: General Questions VIII

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hi Wade:
The following is strictly my experience FWIW.

I built a 900W coil last year strictly for use in a local haunted house.
The coil uses an Allanson 15/60 and a 9 copper tube, parallel static gap <no
forced air> MMC etc.
The Hangmans House of Horrors has a rather vigorous schedule. On those
nights it is open (most of October), the coil would be in use about 5 or 6
hours per night. The duty cycle typically was 1 minute ON then 2 minutes
OFF. It varied a little depending on crowd flow. There were times on a
Saturday evening that it seemed as if it was 1 minute ON and 10 seconds OFF.
It worked well and the 1.75" diam tubes never got warm.
The only drawback, also noted by others, is that under such conditions, the
tubes get oxidized within 2 hours of use. The 24-30" sparks dropped down to
6 inches as 2 hours approached. But 5 minutes with crocus cloth, "flossing"
them, brough the output back to 100%.
This year I am replacing the copper tubes with 9 tungsten carbide donuts,
Smaller and they don't need flossing.

For an image of the coil at the HHH, see
http://www.flash-dot-net/~ford29/tesla/HHH01.jpg

Safety First (careful of drill presses)

Ted