RE: Question:

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Gene

Your Allanson is excellent for tesla work. You have a good power level at
15KV/60MA. My personal opinion is that you should not depot the NST, but
rather build Terry's protection circuit* to be found at
http://hot-streamer-dot-com . Terry's circuit is specifically  designed and
tested to protect a 15KV/60MA. Since NSTs are usually used and no protection
circuit is perfect, you can depot for repairs if the NST eventually fails.
If you want more power later, you can always parallel in more NSTs. I would
keep an eye out for an identical NST at a bargain price. It is my personal
opinion that it is best to parallel only identical NSTs.

The HV section your NST consist of two windings. The inner leads of each
winding is connected to the iron core of the transformer, which in turn is
connected to the transformer casing. This is the center tap thing. This is
done to reduce the insulation requirements. Be careful here because this
makes contact with the transformer casing a possible source of
electrocution. You should also ground the transformer casing. This will make
each of the two HV windings see only 7,500V, resulting in less stress on the
insulation. But this grounding of the case will not necessarily protect you
from electrocution.

Godfrey Loudner

*
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/BigCoil.htm