Re: spun toroids

In a message dated 6/4/01 2:59:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  But to gain the most top capacitance for the
>  toroid size, my recent testing has shown that if the toroid proximity is
>  further
>  away from the secondary (a large outer diameter), the effective top
> capacitance
>  increases closer to it's free-space value. Because of top C, the cord
>  diameter is then smaller to maintain the same capacitance.

Bart,

That is all well known.  My suggestion for the fat toroid is a sort of
compromise to keep the toroid a little smaller, and yet get very
powerful sparks.  Since such a toroid will have less capacitance,
it will be able to break out of a larger ROC than a wider diameter
toroid.  This is the approach that Malcolm used on his coil.  He
has a 9" by 25" (approx) pseudo-toroid on a 10" dia secondary.
Not much work has been done which such aspect ratios to see
how they perform in the real world.  It certainly would be interesting
to do more experiments.  Such a fat toroid would also fit in well
with the idea of using smaller diameter secondaries than normally
used.  The loss of L would be compensated for by using a little
thinner secondary wire gauge.

Cheers,
John