Re: Can Anyone ID This Transformer?

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Thanks John.

I think I got this thing figured out, or at least the
way it's wired.

http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer3.jpg

is how I thought it was wired, based on my DMM.
Testing with juice lead me to believe that the caps
had windings too.

See
http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer3b.jpg

With the capacitors shorted out (the way I got it),
and placing 10 vac across each cap, using various
combinations of taps, I get (assuming the 10 vac is
really 120 vac) 120, 240, 2,160, 2,280, 2,400, 4,320,
4,440, 4,560, 4,680, and 4,800 out. If the "primaries"
can take 240, I get double that. This arrangement also
assumes that all of the windings on the "output" side
of the transformer can take 4,800 vac.

I still don't get the label at
http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer2.jpg
that says:

1 1/2   17
22      273
14      255
4600    2400
120     240
  4     6

When I get this figured out, all of the taps should
make the thing great for a ballast.

BTW, I've heard of people using inductive ballasts
with open or short secondaries, but I've never heard
of anyone using varying resistance with their
inductors. In other words, instead of only shorting
their welder leads and using the various taps, has
anyone tried using water heater elements or some other
resistance across the welder leads?

thanks again
Adam

http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer1.jpg

> >  The label is at:

http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer2.jpg

> >  thanks
> >  Adam
> >

> Adam,
>
> My guess is it's a plate transformer of some sort.
> The label
> seems to suggest a 2400 volt output, and a 120/240
> volt input.
> Current rating of 800MA.   Nice for a big tube coil,
> perhaps
> with a level shifted (ac doubler) power supply.   It
> should be
> beefy enough to work as a ballast.
>
> John Freau

=====