Re: spun toroids

>Original poster: "LWRobertson Maybe the persuasive powers of the Geeks
>could
>be applied constructively to the dire torus shortage.
>
>Cheers
>LR

I have considered this a couple times. I have also considered a better
solution, get a metal spinnning machine (I understand they're similar to a
lathe) donated and make them ourselves. If we had the capacity for ~1 meter
toroids / spheres I can see it being wonderfully productive for the Group
and would help quite a bit with fundraising. Then I think of how massive a
lathe with a 3' swing would be, and start working out the budget, then the
fear sets in. lol There's a reason they're so expensive.

Ok here's the plan.

1. IF people send me the URL, Address, Phone#, and whatever else they can
find on every decent Toroid producer out there, I'll start making rounds to
work out a reduced-price distributorship with them to try to make toroids
reasonably priced and abundant for the Tesla community.

2. IF anyone out there will put up the venture capital for a turning machine
at Sigma-6 I will handle the staffing of it and would be happy to establish
a small shop here with the specific intentions of supplying the Tesla
community with spheres and toroids. It would also give me a chance to
experiment with what I believe the perfectly shaped topload.

The perfectly shaped topload isn't a shere (to high above the secondary), OR
a toroid (Aims them out, wastes space), but a Torisphere (yeah, it's a
technical term, like Fizat)

The bottom half is a toroid, which keeps things low and squat, the top half
is a sphere which gives more surface area and teh cool vertical arcs.

just a thought.

btw: Check out www.thegeekgroup-dot-org  EVERYTHING is updated, I'm spending
another 12 hours in front of the computer today working on it some more.
Parade pics this afternoon :)

Have fun!

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1