From: Kennan C Herrick <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:32:45 -0700
Subject: My s.s. documentation

I now have a set of drawings available for my prototype machine.  Refer to my
posting of 5/18, Herrick's ...Entertainment Machine.  I'll provide one set, as
noted, for US$30 post-paid in the U.S. or US$35 post-paid if to be mailed
overseas.

Here's the list.  It's a complete list (from item 1.1) so note that the items
in curly brackets are >not< supplied with the offered documentation package.

1.  Document List

1.1  This document [the circuit description, etc.]; (ref. YW-General)
1.2  Drive Scheme; TCG44-L2
1.3  Primary Interconnection Wiring; TCG44-2T
1.4  Schematic Drawing, Control Circuit; TCG-CK2B
1.5  Schematic Drawing, Main Circuit; TCG-CK1A
1.6  Schematic Drawing, Pre-driver & Wand; TCG-AUX
1.7  {Parts List; (ref. F.E. database THUNDER)}
1.8  {Artwork/fab/assy Drawing, Top Assy & PC1; TCG-PC1 (as modified)}
1.9  Top Assembly Drawing, TCG-PUB; 1 sheet reduced and edited from TCG-PC1 and
not entirely as-built
1.10  {Artwork/fab/assy Drawing, PC2; TCG-PC2 (as modified)}
1.11  Fab/Assy Drawing, Control Box; TCG-CTL3
1.12  {U.S. Patent #6,069,413 (can be viewed at and/or printed from
<http://www.patents.ibm-dot-com/>http://www.patents.ibm-dot-com/)}
1.13  {Photographs of the prototype assembly (see
<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/KCH_Tcg1.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/KCH
_Tcg1.jpg,
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/KCH_Tcg2.jpg and
<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/KCH_Tcg3.jpg>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/KCH
_Tcg3.jpg.}

Item 1.1 is 16 pp, 8 1/2" x 11"; the rest, quantity 7, are each an 11" x 17"
drawing, CAD-prepared.

As to 1.13... The Tcg1 image is, of course, a double exposure as is Tcg2; a
conventional tungsten-illuminated shot of the coil not running, & with me in it
in Tcg2, and then a 2nd exposure in the dark for 6-8 seconds with the coil
running at perhaps 6 or 8 sparks/second.

Tcg3 shows the primary assembly with the secondary taken off.  Unfortunately,
my son scanned the film from the wrong side so just imagine it reversed.

Each copper-pipe heat-sink mounts on a power MOSFET (an IRFP460LC but that is
replaced in new orders with a 460 with another suffix; the LC is
discontinued).  The inductors (4 are used) are in the switching
current-supplies for charging the storage capacitors.  The little rectangular
circuit board is the pre-driver for the MOSFET drivers.  All the primary
cabling is merely 18 ga. "speaker wire"; it constitutes 2 equivalent primary
turns.  The knobs at the corners are for leveling.  The small panel with the
knob provides test signals; it is not documented, merely connecting to the
existing ribbon-cabling.

The storage capacitors for the primary "current rings" are on the undersides of
the pie-shaped boards and the driver/power-supply boards plug in vertically to
those boards; the edges of two of them can just be seen.

The control box containing the 5V-logic, l.v. power and mains-rectifier, is at
the front, below the mounting board.  There is a lifting eye inside the PVC
support pipe at the center.

I now plan to finish up my (extensive) p-c artwork changes and incorporate 2
more 12-MOSFET boards to make up the full compliment of 6 assemblies.  That
will boost my primary current 1/3 more & then we'll see what that will do for
the spark.  When & if I get that done I'll offer a diagram of the revised
primary wiring.

I am offering neither items 1.7, 1.8 or 1.10 nor 1.12 or 1.13; the former are
not totally current, some incorporate artwork that needs to be changed, and 1.8
alone incorporates 26 CAD "layers".  The latter are available as noted.
Perhaps some day, having finished up the artworks and all, I can offer those
drawings or even finished circuit-boards if there's a demand.

Send a check or int'l money order in U.S. dollars, upon receipt of which I will
send the printed drawings via 1st class mail.  Be sure to include your address!

Ken Herrick
2160 Mastlands Drive
Oakland, CA 94611 USA