Re: Triggered gap and safety gaps

Hi,

At our local Tesla meeting yesterday, we tried this dimmer, capacitor, and
coil circuit (I never have before).  I had a MOV across the AC Line but it
all really seemed very tame.  We made a nice little Jacob's ladder with it.
 The ignition coil seemed to heat up pretty quickly with 10 and 20 uF so
maybe there is some work to be done there.  I need to get the Pearson 411
and the Tek5100 on the AC line to see what kind of messyness is really
going on, but I was surprised that it seemed to work so smoothly.  MOVs and
a good line filter should catch anything in any case.  I would, however,
worry if the primary cap were to decide to discharge backward into the
thing.  Having 5 Joules track backwards through the coil and dimmer may be
nasty, but one should be able to stop it from getting out on the AC line
fairly easily.  More testing needs to be done.   Working on it ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry