Re: rotary spark gap

In a message dated 7/29/01 3:43:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol.
> com>
>
>  I actually had one of those motors with the four screws in the corners. I
>  removed them and proceeded to remove the end caps. I was able to slide
them
>  part way down the axle of the motor, but after a while, they would slide
any

>  farther. No amount of hammering with a mallet could budge them either.

Sometimes there is rust on the shaft which should be cleaned off before
attempting to slide the cap over the shaft.  Other times there are
dents on the shaft from a set screw which held on a pulley or
something.  these dents and bumps should be filed smooth
also.  If the end cap binds as you're trying to slide it off, don't force
it, but check the shaft again for nicks, and corrosion.  Some
sandpaper etc can be used to remove the corrosion.  On
some ball-bearing motors, the caps have to be pulled off
very evenly, or they get stuck.  Or use some sort of puller tool
for even pulling.  If you use sandpaper, be sure to clean the
shaft well to remove any grit which could damage the sleeve
bearings.

John Freau