Re: PFC caps

Hi Robert,

I am holding a Panasonic 20uF 180VAC true continuous AC cap.  It is about
1.5 x 1.5 x 0.75 inches...  Your caps seem far too small to me.  If they
have polarity makings on them like a DC electrolytic, then something is
really wrong.  I think you have DC "buss caps" there and not true high
current AC caps.  In that case, if you hook them across the AC line they
will explode in a pretty flash ;-))

You want "motor run" caps that are either dry polypropylene or oil filled
caps.  It is rare to find them over 100uF in value.

If you put a 100uF cap across the 120VAC line voltage, the current will be
a continuous 4.5 amps.  So the cap needs to run 4.5 amps of current all day
long.  That takes a special cap with a ton of safety ratings.  Not a
"typical" cap at all.

Cheers,

	Terry