RE: Triggered gap and safety gaps

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

John: Please excuse my jumping in on this but I have been chatting with marc
off list too.
I am rebuilding my 900W coil from last year after major damage to the
secondary (I dropped it onto concrete from 10 feet in the air).

I planned a tungsten carbide static gap and was on the verge of building one
when the triggered gap project caught my attention. On the surface it seems
so simple and it probably is. Except, initial setting and setup has me
concerned.

An now you say it is easy to lose your NST? Help.
My basic multi-segment static gap has a total width of .28
I have a safety gap set for about .3 with Terry's MOV array.
And finally, with a 15/60 NST, I have an MMC of .0117, slightly LTR.

If I initially set the main electrodes of the trigger gap to, say, 1" apart,
the safety gap should fire, yes? Then, with the dimmer set midway, I
energize the trigger electrode which is barely in the path and midway
between electrodes. That should precipitate the main gap to fire...correct?

Or, should I start with the main gap rods closer...say 1/2 inch.

I cannot afford to lose the NST so casually at this time frame so I want to
take whaever precautions are suggested to setup this new approach.
Marc has certainly been a big help.
But the initial setup process has been a stubling block and maybe you have a
simpler interpreation I can follow.

Much obliged for any assistance.

Ted