Re: Big Cap 1µF, 20 kVDC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/26/01 10:13:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I have a 2uF / 63kV cap. So it can store 3969 Joules using 63kV charging.
> Does any one know what I can use the cap for other than making a loud bang.
> I have an x-ray transformer that can deliver DC output up to 125kV and
> 300mA. I can throttle the output down to 63kV or less. I'm a little
> intimidated by the cap because I think it might be capable of blowing a
> person's arm off. I had a chance of getting another such cap, but I waited
> to long. The cap came from an impulse x-ray machine.
>
> Godfrey Loudner

Godfrey,

This cap may make a decent can crusher/ coin shrinker
cap, although the voltage rating is a little high for this purpose.
I recently aquired a 100 uFD, 10 kV Maxwell  energy dis-
charge cap that's working great for this purpose, that's 5000
joules  :-) BTW, you are correct in that it can blow an arm
off, so be careful :-O

Saprkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben