Re: Odd effect noticed

Original poster: "Ryan Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xanth-at-voyager-dot-net>

I've noticed this effect also.  I have a small 1" coil run off a 5/30 NST.
With a normal earth ground I cannot get any breakout (although it will light
a light bulb 8 ft away and screw up every piece of test equipment within 30
ft) so I built a ground around it.  This consists of 24" diameter circle of
hardware cloth around the coil with the top being the same and the bottom
being copper sheet.  It works great for demos because of it physical size
and no need for a earth ground.  The 8" sparks can easily be drawn to a
small 10w neon bulb held in your hand.

When the coil is shut off however, the bulb doesn't.  It will glow in your
hand for between 5 and 10 minutes.  It looks totally lit at first but after
a minute you can see it's pulsing very fast.  It continues to slow down and
become dimmer until the pulses are very dim and about once every five
seconds.  When I touch one end of the bulb to the coils ground, the
intensity greatly increases.  I thought maybe I was holding a charge so my
thinking was if I touched ground, I would be discharged and the pulsing
would stop.  This didn't happed, there was no change in the bulb.

I can walk anywhere with the neon bulb and it continues to glow for a few
minutes.  Put it down...it stops, pick it back up...it starts again.  Any
ideas are greatly appreciated!

Ryan Phillips